Go To County
Click on County Name
One Name Studies
2453929 Page Hits Last Month
2043739 Page Hits This Month
19952 Page Hits Yesterday
11535 Page Hits Today
Huntingdonshire; abbreviated Hunts, is a local government district of Cambridgeshire, covering the area around Huntingdon. Traditionally it is a county in its own right.
It includes St Ives, Godmanchester, St Neots, and Ramsey.
In 1889, under the Local Government Act 1888 Huntingdonshire became an administrative county, with the new County Council taking over administrative functions from the Quarter Sessions.
The area in the north of the county forming part of the municipal borough of Peterborough became instead part of the Soke of Peterborough administrative county, in Northamptonshire.
In 1965, under a recommendation of the Local Government Commission for England, it was merged with the Soke of Peterborough to form Huntingdon and Peterborough - the Lieutenancy county was also merged.
Also at this time St Neots expanded westward over the river into Eaton Ford and Eaton Socon in Bedfordshire.
In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, Huntingdon and Peterborough merged with Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely to form the new non-metropolitan county of Cambridgeshire. A Huntingdon district
was created based closely on the former administrative county borders, with the exclusion of the Old Fletton urban district became part of the Peterborough district, as did that part of
Norman Cross Rural District in Peterborough New Town.
The district was renamed Huntingdonshire on 1 October 1984, by resolution of the district council.
Original historical documents relating to Huntingdonshire are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Huntingdon.
This article, the flag and county map are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntingdonshire